Recipe submitted by: @thesaltychilli
There’s something about a plate of perfectly cooked meatballs that is simply irresistible. They’re comforting, satisfying, and oh-so-delicious. But what makes these meatballs even more special is the addition of pancetta, which adds an extra layer of flavor and richness. Paired with a hearty Spatziola pasta and freshly grated parmesan cheese, this recipe is a true crowd-pleaser.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it’s a great way to use up pantry staples like canned tomatoes, dried oregano, and breadcrumbs. And if you have any leftover vegetables in the fridge, feel free to chop them up and add them to the tomato sauce for some extra nutrition and flavor.
The meatballs themselves are incredibly easy to make, and the addition of hot water to the mixture helps keep them moist and tender. The tomato sauce is simple but flavorful, with garlic, basil, and canned tomatoes coming together to create a rich and comforting sauce. And let’s not forget about the Spatziola pasta – its unique shape and texture make it the perfect accompaniment to the meatballs and tomato sauce.
When everything is combined and served together, the result is a dish that is greater than the sum of its parts. Each element – the meatballs, pasta, and tomato sauce – works in perfect harmony to create a meal that is hearty, comforting, and delicious. So why not give this recipe a try? It’s the perfect way to bring a little bit of Italy into your kitchen.
- 500g 12% fat beef or beef/pork
- 70g finely chopped pancetta
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp dried oregano, optional
- 70g fresh breadcrumbs
- 50g finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
- Hot water
- Fresh pepper
- Tomato sauce (2 sliced garlic cloves, handful of basil, 100 ml EVOO, canned tomatoes, salt to taste)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the egg, dried oregano (if using), fresh breadcrumbs, finely grated Parmesan cheese, finely chopped parsley, sea salt, and a bit of milk. Mix until well combined.
- Add the beef or beef/pork and pancetta to the bowl, then mix everything together with your hands. Add 2-3 tablespoons of hot water to the mixture and continue mixing until fully combined.
- Form the mixture into meatballs.
- In a seasoned pan on medium-high heat, fry the meatballs until golden on each side.
- In a separate pot, prepare the tomato sauce by frying 2 sliced garlic cloves with a handful of basil in 100 ml of EVOO. Add canned tomatoes and salt to taste.
- Add the meatballs to the tomato sauce and cook on a low simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions, then drain.
- Serve the meatballs and tomato sauce alongside the Spatziola pasta, and top with a generous amount of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and fresh pepper. Enjoy!