Recipe submitted by: @shara_gnaws_food
Are you tired of the same old pasta recipes? Do you want to try something new and exciting that will tantalize your taste buds? Look no further than this caramelised red onion, blue cheese and spinach pasta recipe!
This pasta dish is the perfect combination of sweet and savoury, with caramelised red onions and tangy blue cheese complementing the fresh spinach and al dente Girandole pasta. The addition of balsamic vinegar and honey creates a sticky and flavorful sauce that ties everything together.
- 500g Spatziola pasta
- 100g smoked bacon lardons
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Splash of white wine
- 150ml double cream
- 2-3 tablespoons frozen peas
- Chopped herbs (tarragon or parsley)
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente.
- In a dry pan, fry the smoked bacon lardons until crisp. Remove them with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same pan with the bacon fat, add the finely chopped shallot and cook until softened. Grate in the clove of garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in a splash of white wine and bubble until reduced.
- Add the double cream and frozen peas to the pan. Bubble for a few minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Return the cooked bacon to the pan and add some chopped herbs (tarragon or parsley).
- Drain the cooked pasta and reserve a ladle of the pasta water.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and toss to combine. Add the reserved pasta water to loosen the sauce if necessary.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Finish with grated Parmesan cheese and a big grind of black pepper.
- Serve hot and enjoy!